Tuesday, January 06, 2009

My Friend, Kim

About 4 or so years ago my brother and sister-in-law moved to Tyler, TX. They met and became friends with a couple they worshiped with. This couple had a little boy and had another on the way. Then a little over 2 years ago this same couple moved to Lufkin where my parents live. They began to worship where my parents worship. My parents pretty much took them in and began to babysit their boys from time to time. At some point Kim and I met and became friends. For me, it was an instant thing. She's so easy to like! There have been lots of times that we've been at my parents and we'd get together with Kim and the boys or Kim, Jesse (her husband) and the boys. During one of our earliest visits I was knitting (because I knit all the time) and for some reason it attracted Kim and she decided she wanted to start knitting. (She already knew how to crochet) She taught herself and learned amazingly fast!! From there she went to the last two WHIBSIBs and the Knit Out in Austin in between. (I'll discuss WHIBSIB in another post) She is an unbelievable knitter!! She knit a sweater for her younger sister last Christmas that was difficult and it turned out beautifully!!!! During the whole time I've known her they've been in the process of adopting a little girl from Vietnam. It was a long drawn-out process. While they were dealing with all that Kim found out she was pregnant. So, in September she had a baby girl and a few weeks later her husband and mother-in-law went together to Vietnam and finally came home with Maya!! So now they have their complete family - 2 boys and 2 girls!! Kim handles it all beautifully!!!
The reason for this post is that I got to spend a couple of hours with her this afternoon before we came back home. While I was sitting there talking and listening I realized that just being around her makes me a better person. She makes me feel like the future is going to be wonderful. She takes the stress of having four wonderful children 5 and under in stride. She laughs at things that are irritating. I'm about 13 years older than she is, but I consider her to be one of my best friends and she is such a wonderful influence over me! I feel so fortunate to have her in my life and I'm thankful that God has allowed our paths to cross!!
Thank you, Kim, for being who and what you are and for being my friend!! I love you!!

On to knitting related things...I was looking back at my last blog post and realized I made a mistake. I was talking about my Horcrux socks and said something about the lightning bolt scarf pattern. What I meant to say was the lightning bolt lace pattern in the sock. I've turned the heel on my first sock, picked up the stitches on the heel flap and I'm working on decreasing back down to my original number of stitches. Next time I'll post a picture.

Last night my Mom and I drove from Lufkin to Houston for my once a month sewing group. I started this with a group of women from church. Last night my Mom and two of my cousins were there, plus a woman from LSSK that lives in Austin. We had a really enjoyable time and I'm beginning to get to know some of the women from church that I hadn't previously known very well. Mom and I had a great adventure going back to Lufkin. I took my Austin friend back to her son's house and we were going to take an alternate route back to Lufkin. Somehow we missed our exit and ended up in Huntsville where Sam Houston State University is. It was dark and drizzly and as we were coming into Huntsville on I-45 I saw this HUGE white creepy thing that looked like it was in the middle of the road. I asked Mom what she thought. She had several ideas including smoke from a factory. However, the closer we got to this scary thing it turned out to be a gigantic statue of Sam Houston himself. I found out today that it is one of the largest statues in our country!!! Giant Statue of Sam Houston, Huntsville, Texas It is an amazing sight!! That would only happen in Texas!!! I LOVE this state!!

I'm sorry for the lack of pictures. Next time I promise there will be pics and more fun stuff!!

Knit On and More Later,
Shama D

1 comment:

Diana Dow said...

Hi Shama, I came to your blog via Facebook and read a few of your posts. You do love to knit, don't you? What a sweet tribute to Kim. I don't know her well but I admire her very much. I didn't know you were the one that got her involved in knitting. I had a similar reaction when I first saw that huge statute. It was night and we were driving north and it just appeared out of nowhere. It was awesome but they really should give you some sort of warning.