Saturday, July 11, 2009

What in the World Happened??

I just looked at my last post and realized that for some reason or another, not all of it posted!! I don't have a clue what happened! So let me see if I can remember what I said...
I love casting on for a new project (except for knitting the first row). I love the feel of the yarn gliding through my fingers. I love watching the fabric grow as I make loops with the yarn and pul another loop through with a stick!! It's magical! I love challenging myself with new stitches and projects! I even like finishing - weaving in ends and seaming up!! I find seaming a challenge, but once I work it out, I have a completed project that I made!!

Right now I'm working on a hermit crab from the Amigurumi Knits book by Hansi Singh.
I love this book!! I always see the cutest little amigurumi animals and I want to make them but I don't crochet. When I found this book full of the cutest little knitted amigurumis I had to get it!! It's divided up into 5 sections:
Before the first official section she tells what amigurumi is and then a top 10 list of reasons why you will love knitting it!
1) Techniques: I haven't read this through because I always get too anxious to knit. But she gives you lots of hints, tips, and techniques.
2) Five Servings a Da: the Vegetable Basket - Six cute vegetables. I'd like to knit them and put them in a bowl on my table!
3) Get Your Barnacle On: Underwater Creatures - Six underwater creatures. I'm working on the hermit crab right now. It's quite a challenge but I'm loving it!! Hopefully pictures will be up later this week.
4) Garden Variety: Backyard Critters - Just creatures you'd see in your yard! But much cuter knitted up than in real life!!
5) Revenge of the Cryptids: Strange, Mythical, Cryptozoological Specimens - Three real or imagained creatures. My favorite is Nessie! I definitely plan to knit him in the not too distant future!
Hansi Singh is brilliant in her constrution of these knits! I highly recommend this book!!

Let me finish up with a project that I recently finished:
I decided to knit a shawl for my Mom for Mother's Day. I had wanted to knit her one for Christmas but for some reason I didn't get any knitting done then. Mother's Day was the weekend after Logan's graduation, so I knew I couldn't finish it in time. I started it about 3 days before. The day before Mother's Day I looked down at it and noticed a big hole in the lace edging!! I had apparently dropped a stitch that stayed in place for a couple of days before it let go!! So I had to frog the whole thing in front of my Mom. I just told her "Happy Mother's Day!" She laughed and said she was so glad it was for her because she loved it!! That spurred me on to turn right around and cast back on. It went pretty quickly and I got it to her a couple of weeks later! Here it is:
Better shot of the whole shawl but the red is deeper than this shows
Up close of the edging



Knit On and more later,
Shama D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Felicity Flamingo pattern- Thank you for the Row 20 correction; now explain Rows26 & 27 (41 sts) and row 28 (with 42 sts). I have torn this pattern out 3 times and I would like to knit it completely this time. Love the pattern; hope I can get it to come out like the picture. Thanks

Anonymous said...

That is one beautiful shawl your mother is going to get!I just love it!

Where did you get the pattern?
(My fingers are crossed that it is a free one.)

Great work,
Janey

Anonymous said...

Oops, I hit Send before I wrote out my address - so you could tell me where the pattern is from.

Blame it on the time of night - the early hours of the morning. 2:41 am.

Happy knitting,
Janey
janeyknitting@yahoo.ca